Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Point of Not Catching Fish

A couple days ago I had a BRILLIANT revelation. It had to do with "not catching fish". Obviously the point of going on a fishing trip is to catch fish. Even if the point of the trip is being on vacation but fishing is part of the plan, you still want to catch a few. Throughout the summer, we've hosted hundreds of groups, families and fishermen alike. Guess what occasionally happens........No Fish!

I'm probably as much or more disappointed when that happens than our guests seem to be. When you live at a lake and run a lake resort, you want your guests to catch fish when they go out to catch fish!

Alas......It doesn't always work that way. BUT, while I was sitting on the deck of our office the other day after some guests had a tough day trying to fish, it hit me! This day, the fishing was bad, but coming up from the pool was laughter, splashing of water, squirt gun fights, story telling, more laughter and so on. Then I noticed the group out by the fire pit tossing bean bags, laughing and taunting each other. Then the fire pit itself had a circle of friends exchanging stories and experiences along with more laughter.

........... Then the revelation!

I remember my own experiences on vacation and not catching fish. You know what I remember most? It wasn't the "not catching fish" part. I remember the fun of being on vacation. I remember the cabins, the cook-outs, the campfires, the games, the pool, the fish when we caught them, the magic of sitting out at evening, card games in the cabin when it was raining outside. I don't really remember all the times we didn't catch fish. I don't remember watching TV. In fact, I don't remember if any of the cabins even had TV.

As I though about this I realized that all of the good memories far out-weighed the "not catching fish" memories. It's not just a "consolation prize" when the fishing doesn't work out. It's the reality of thinking back 40 plus years and honestly not really remembering the disappointment of not catching fish.

Catching fish is great, but the other stuff is pretty good too. And sticks with you just as long!

Come and see us sometime. Do some fishing, do some boating, sit by a fire, jump in the pool, eat some barbecue, EAT SOME S'MORES, throw a water balloon at an unsuspecting family member, laugh and tell stories! You will take home memories that last a lifetime. You may even take home some fishing pictures and stories. But whatever you do, take home GREAT memories!

When you get ready to start making your next batch of lake resort memories, Give us a call to book in a room or cabin at Rainbow Haven Resort or Cross Timbers Cabins at 417-234-4394 or 417-561-4179

ALSO.....Don't forget to subscribe to our updates and specials on the right side of this page!

No comments:

Post a Comment